Liposomal Vitamin C
Early European sailors and explorers suffered, and sometimes perished, from a wasting condition known as scurvy, a disease we now know is caused by vitamin C deficiency. As it turns out, it was the lack of fresh fruit and vegetables on long ocean voyages that often lead to this strange condition. In the 18th century, English physicians identified that certain plants and fruits contained a tonic, or factor (vitamin C, as it turns out) which prevented the scourges of scurvy: everything from tooth loss, skin disorders, and mental breakdown to appetite loss, diarrhea, fever and irritability. In bad cases, vitamin C deficiency leads to bleeding, paralysis, and even death. Humans, unlike most other animals, cannot make vitamin C in our bodies, and must consume it in foods or supplements.
Now known as the “grandfather” of the traditional antioxidants, vitamin C has a wide range of astonishing health benefits and plays a pivotal role in enhancing detoxification. Here are a few excellent reasons to supplement your diet with vitamin C:
- • Battle oxidation. Vitamin C acts as a major electron donor for eight different enzymes and maintains optimal electron flow in your cells. This decreases Ascorbate (vitamin C) acts as a reducing agent, donating electrons and preventing oxidation to keep iron and copper atoms in their reduced states. (1)
- • Protect proteins, lipids, and other vital molecular elements in your body. This maintains active defenses against tissue degradation and supports proper bodily functions. (1, 2)
- • Regulate mineral balance. Vitamin C is essential for collagen synthesis, which is an important structural component of your bones, blood vessels, tendons, ligaments, and neurotransmitters. (2, 10)
- • Slow down the aging process, and restore healthy aging.Vitamin C has been shown to actually reverse age-related abnormalities including metabolic syndrome, inflammation, liver, and tissue injury in mice that had a premature aging disorder called Werner Syndrome. (3)
- • Support brain health. Vitamin C helps facilitate central nervous system signal transduction in the neurotransmitters and supplies electrons for the formation of neurotransmitters. (4)
- • Strengthen general health. Vitamin C has also been found to play a role in maintaining wellness. (5,11)
- • Support detoxification. Vitamin C is helpful for mercury elimination, as it tends to mobilize mercury from intracellular stores.